Great people of
- Born 16 October 1890. Michael Collins was a revolutionary, soldier, and politician who was a leading figure in the early 20th-century Irish struggle for independence.
- Born 10 August 1971. Roy Keane is an Irish football manager and former professional player. He is the joint most successful Irish footballer of all time, having won 19 major trophies, 17 of which came at Manchester United.
- Born 8 December 1966. Sinéad O’Connor is an Irish singer-songwriter who rose to fame in the late 80s with her debut album The Lion and the Cobra. She achieved worldwide success in 1990 with a new arrangement of Prince’s song “Nothing Compares 2 U.
- Born 13 September 1993. Niall Horan is an Irish singer and songwriter. He rose to prominence as a member of the boy band One Direction, formed in 2010 on the British singing competition The X Factor
- Born 24 September 1725. Was an brewer and the founder of the Guinness brewery business, he was also an entrepreneur and philanthropist. Guinness is one of the most successful alcohol brands worldwide, brewed in 50 countries, and available in over 120.
- Born 16 October 1854. was an Irish poet. He is best remembered for his epigrams and plays, his novel The Picture of Dorian Gray, and the circumstances of his criminal conviction for consensual homosexual acts, imprisonment, and early death from meningitis at age 46
Paul David Hewson
- Born 10 May 1960. known by his stage name Bono, is an Irish singer, songwriter, philanthropist, activist, venture capitalist, businessman, and actor. He is best known as the lead vocalist and primary lyricist of rock band U2.
- Born 14 July 1988. Conor Anthony McGregor is an Irish professional MMA and boxer. At UFC 194, he defeated José Aldo via knockout 13 seconds into the first round, which is the fastest victory in UFC title fight history. He also became the first fighter in UFC history to hold titles in two weight divisions simultaneously
- Born 8 July 1980. Robert David Keane is an Irish professional football coach and former player. Keane served as captain of the Republic of Ireland from March 2006 until his international retirement in August 2016. Keane is the most capped player and is the top goalscorer in the team’s history.
- Born 12 April 1994. Saoirse Una Ronan is an Irish and American actress. She´s known for her roles in Atonement, The Lovely Bones and Hanna among others, and she has received numerous awards and nominations, including one Golden Globe Award and nominations for four Academy Awards and five British Academy Film Awards
History of Irish pubs
Irish pubs have existed since the 10th century. Irish pubs are characterized by a unique culture centered around a casual and friendly atmosphere, hearty food and drink, Irish sports, and traditional Irish music. The pubs are usually names after the current or previous owner of the street they are located on. Elaborate exterior decoration is rare but was typified by The Irish House on Wood Quay in Dublin, which was surrounded in 1870 by colored friezes of nationalist heroes, and with iconic traditional themes such as round towers. Irish pubs traditionally did not sell food as dining out was not a major part of Irish culture. That changed in the 1970s and food is now a significant part of the Irish pub experience. The Irish pubs widespread appeal has led to the Irish pub theme spreading around the world.